Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Art of Story Telling


Hip Hop was founded on the art of Story Telling. Since hip hop early days story telling was a special forum of hip hop. Its the art of putting a story on wax. The entire 16 bars was dedicated to one story. Its like an author writing a book or a writer writing a script to a movie.


Juicy was a story that depict a man and his dream of stardom, its the reflection of that dream after he made it. Its that Dreams do come true song. Juicy is what story telling is all about. Its all about captivating your audience with your opening credit, and giving us an intriguing story that keeps us on the edge of our seat, right before they give you Man, I ain't see that coming close. Its the author point of view that is put into a lyrical wordplay that makes it a STORY. Some rappers have this gift to carry us along for their ride. My favorite hip hop story teller is Scarface. But here are a list of rappers who have the ability to captivate an audience with a story.


Common - Testify, I Used to love H.E.R, Come Close

Notorious B.I.G- Warning, Juicy, Me & my Bitch, Sky is the Limit, I got a Story to tell, Somebody gotta die

Slick Rick- Teenage Love, Children's Story, Memories, Sitting in My Car

Nas- One Love, One Mic, We Will Survive, Rewind, If I Rule the World

KRS-1 - Love's Gone Get'cha, Can't Wake Up, 100 Guns

Ice Cube- My Summer Vacation, NO Vaseline, Today was a Good Day, Dope Man (NWA, who you thought was writing for NWA)

MC Lyte- Cappuccino, Poor Georgie, Drug lord Superstar

Jay Z- Meet the Parents, Regrets, This Cant be Life ft. Scarface, Beanie Seigel, Excuse Me Miss, Song Cry, Fallen, Sweet, I Know, Can I Live, Dead Presidents

Dana Dane- Sinderfella Dana Dane, Nightmares

Tupac- Dear Mama, Brenda's Got a Baby, I Ain't Mad at Ya, Keep ya Head Up

Ice T- High Rollers, You Played Yourself

Bone Thugs in Harmony- Cross Roads, First of the Month

Scarface, I seen a Man Die, A Minute to Pray, (verses on Jay Z, This Cant be Life, 2 Pac Smile, Ghetto Boys My Minds Playing Tricks on Me)


Honorable Mentions

Lost Boys- Renee

8 Ball & MJG Mr. Bigg

Eve - Love is Blind

Too Short- Freaky Tales

Eazy E- The Boys in the Hood

Kanye West- Jesus Walks

Fabolous- Can You Hear Me

CL Smooth- T.R.O.Y

Mos Def- Ms Fat Booty

Nikki D- Daddy's Little Girl

Snoop Dogg- Deep Cover

No comments:

Post a Comment